select a file below to view and print).
Verify Continuing Education
I. Continuing Education Requirements:
- CEU = continuing education unit. One unit is defined as 10 contact hours of an accredited course or program. A contact hour is equal to actual time in a seminar or workshop.
- CEUs should be acquired between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 to be credited for 2021 renewal. Individuals licensed as new graduates or by endorsement in 2019 and 2020 are not required to complete CEUs for 2021 renewal and begin accumulating in 2021 for 2023 renewal. Individuals who were previously inactive and reinstate their license in 2019 and 2020 are required to complete continuing education between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 for 2021 renewal. Continuing education used to reinstate a license cannot be used for 2021 renewal.
- According to the Arkansas Physical Therapy Practice Act, physical therapists must complete, in each biennium (two-year period), two (2) CEUs and physical therapist assistants are required to complete, in each biennium, one (1) CEU. This must be obtained within the 24-months preceding the odd-numbered year renewal. A passing score on the jurisprudence exam is part of continuing education and required in the same period as continuing education.
- No more than 50% of continuing education can be taken through online/home study courses. The jurisprudence exam is worth 1 hour of continuing education credit and counts as an online course.
II. Jurisprudence Exam:
- A passing score on the Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy Jurisprudence Exam is required for initial licensure and for license renewal. The exam is required for every odd-numbered year renewal as part of continuing education and must be taken by December 31, 2020.
- The exam consists of 20 questions from the Practice Act and the Rules and Regulations. The Practice Act and Rules and Regulations are available to be printed from the Board's website and can be referenced during the exam. The passing score is 70%. The score is available at the end of the exam along with a printable certificate. One hour of continuing education credit will be given. The jurisprudence exam counts as an online course.
- The jurisprudence exam fee is $10.00 payable by credit card or e-check at the time the exam is taken. The exam is administered on the ARPTB website at www.arptb.org. To register for the exam, log on to the website, click the "online services" menu button, click "online jurisprudence exam" and enter your license number, date of birth and e-mail address. A user I.D., password and link will be emailed to you.
III. Approval of CEU Programs:
- To receive CEU credit for a program, it must be approved by the Board or a Board approved entity either before or after it is attended. The form titled "Continuing Education Units" must be completed and submitted to the Board, along with course information, within 60 days after course completion. Final completion deadline is December 31, 2020. The Continuing Education Units form is available on the Board's website at www.arptb.org or by contacting the board office.
- Proof of CEUs submitted for odd-numbered year renewals may be copies of the original completion certificate. Proof for college courses completed for CEUs is a transcript or grade report indicating that courses have been completed with grades of C or above.
IV. Content of CEU Programs/College Courses for CEUs:
- Board Rule requires that CEU approved programs and college courses must be in the area of clinical application, clinical management, behavioral science, science or scientific research.
- An article, or research which has been published within the two year cycle, may be submitted to the Board for consideration of up to one-half of the biennium CEU requirement. This request, along with the publication, must be mailed to the board office. The article or research will be approved by the Board on an individual basis.
V. Failure to Comply
- Licensees failing to complete the CEU requirement by December 31 of the year prior to renewal must pay $50.00 per month penalty until continuing education is completed and accepted by the Board.
- Licensees failing to comply with the CEU requirements by license renewal deadline will not receive license renewal and may not engage in the provision of physical therapy services.