Agencies | Online Services | Policies |
  Great Seal of The State of Arkansas Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy
About the Board
Applying for Licensure
Rules and Regulations, Practic Act
Online Services
Filing a Complaint
Continuing Education
Board News
Disciplinary Action

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I have my Arkansas license verified to another state?

A. For a written verification to be sent to another state you must submit a request in writing to the Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy along with the $15.00 fee for certification processing. Your written request should include your name as it appears on your license, your license number, and the name and address of the state board to which the certification should be sent. Normal processing time is within one week.

Q. How do I change my name or address with the Board?

A. You must provide written notification to the Board office for name and address changes. An address/name change form can be downloaded from this website under forms. A name change must be accompanied with a copy of the legal document that constituted the change. (Ex. marriage license or divorce decree). New licenses are not automatically issued for name changes. A request for a new license must be included along with the written request for the name change.

How do I get a duplicate license?

A. You may obtain a duplicate license by submitting a written request to the Board.

How do I request a list of physical therapist/physical therapist assistants for solicitation of continuing education courses?

A. A list of physical therapist/physical therapist assistants is $50.00 and mailing labels are $75.00 To obtain a list or labels, send a written request along with the fee to the Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy. A list in Excel format can be e-mailed to you. The Board does not offer the list on diskette or CD. Please specify order. (Ex. alphabetical or zip code order).

How often does the Board meet?

A. There is no set schedule but there are at least two meetings annually.

I haven't been practicing in Arkansas and allowed my Arkansas license to expire. How do I renew my license?

A. To return to regular status, the applicant must complete the reinstatement form; demonstrate completion of delinquent continuing education requirements up to four units (40 contact hours); and pay the annual license fee plus a reinstatement fee of $75.00 for physical therapist and $50.00 for physical therapist assistants. The reinstatement form can be obtained by calling the Board office or by downloading from this website under forms.

What are the renewal fees?

A. $75.00 for physical therapist and $50.00 for physical therapist assistants. Physical therapists and physical therapist assistants who have not paid annual renewal fees by March 1 will be allowed to renew by paying a late fee of $100 per month.


Q. How many contact hours are required for licensure renewal?

A. Physical therapists are required 20 hours and physical therapist assistants 10 hours for renewal every odd year. (i.e.: 2003, 2005, etc.)

How do I file a complaint against a physical therapist/physical therapist assistant?

A. Refer to filing a complaint on this website.

What shall I do if I believe someone is violating the Physical Therapy practice Act?

A. It is your legal and ethical responsibility to report any suspected violation of the law to the Board. Violators may include unlicensed persons who aid and abet the illegal and unsafe practice of physical therapy as well as physical therapists or physical therapist assistants who are practicing outside the scope of law.


Q. How do I obtain an application for licensure?

A. To request a license application for physical therapist/physical therapist assistant, call the Board at 501-228-7100. The application and instructions can also be downloaded from this website under applying for licensure.


Q. Once I apply, how long does it take to get a license?

A. Following receipt of all required documents, the average processing time is three days.

What is the passing score for the licensure exam?

A. Passing score on the national licensing examination is the criterion referenced score of 600. All 53 jurisdictions require the same.

How many times can a candidate sit for the exam?

A. Upon payment of the appropriate fee, applicants who do not pass the exam after the first attempt may re-take the examination one additional time without re-application for licensure. This must occur within six months from the first failure. Prior to being approved by the Board for subsequent testing beyond two attempts, individuals shall re-apply and demonstrate evidence satisfactory to the Board of having successfully completed additional clinical training and/or course work as determined by the Board.

What is the fee for licensure?

A. Refer to applying for licensure on this website.


Q. What methods are accepted for payment of fees?

A. The Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy accepts payments by personal check, cashiers check or money order. The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy, owners of the examination, receives direct payments from candidates. They accept cashiers checks, money orders or credit cards.